The team worked alongside 3 Marketing professors to create a series of digital ads for DPD recruitment to be tested and then analyzed for further implementation and market research. We were asked to help determine the dimensions to test, photograph officers, and finally create the ads. We approached each decision with testing in mind; for every dimension we tested, we had to make sure it was truly isolated while controlling all other variables in the photo, copy, and ad design.
In the end, our our goal was to generate an online marketing campaign targeted at prospective recruits who fit DPD’s desired profile of the highest quality and successful officer.
We established neutral design principles to make the design generic enough not to harper interest in the ad through font, color, or grid selection but rather through the imagery and copy. This involved scouring the internet for any research or quotes from noteworthy graphic designers to support our decisions and fit into the research paper as well.
For the dimensions, our team carried out several brainstorm sessions, putting pictures to words to get a better understanding if it was actually possible to evoke dimensions like humor crossed with self. Often, we presented our findings to the marketing professors, finally narrowing in on a set to carry forward into the first photoshoot.
After visiting the Detroit Police Department Headquarters, we learned that not all the photo dimensions we envisioned were all that natural to the departments we were working with. We decided we did not want to advertise anything unrealistic so we stayed flexible, photographing what worked and leaving out what didn’t.
We plan to complete the project fully before the end of January. Our next steps include reviewing the photos we did take with the rest of the team, revisiting our dimensions, creating the ads, and going back to DPD to take more photos to work into a final series of ads.